In Scotland, most ancillary buildings don't require planning permission, because most meet a set of rules called 'permitted development'. Our advice is always to check with your local authority as to the specifics of your area.
However, the following is the Scottish Government's guidelines:
The permitted development rules for an ancillary building are:
- it's located at the back of the house
- it isn't used as a separate home to live in
- it doesn't take up half of the grounds behind your home
- it isn't higher than 4 metres
- any part that is a metre or less from the boundary is no higher than 2.5 metres
- the eaves (the part where the wall meets the roof) is no higher than 3 metres
- if the land is in a conservation area or in the grounds of a listed building, the ancillary building has a footprint of less than 4 square metres
Source - Scottish Government guidelines
For further information regarding the Planning Permission process, please click here.
Absolutely! Our garden rooms are super insulated. The walls, roof and floor are all insulated to ensure your room can be enjoyed all year.
To fit within the Permitted Development regulations, you must keep a garden room 1m from any boundary.
Yes. There are a few options we can explore with you from extending ground screw brackets to absorb the slope to working with landscapers to excavate to create a more level site therefore avoiding lots of steps up.
Weather permitting and size-dependent, a garden room can be installed in two to three weeks from installing foundations to sign off.
Yes, installing a bathroom will require a building warrant as the room becomes classed as a dwelling.
We ask for a 25% initial deposit to secure your order and slot in our schedule, followed by a 25% payment as we commence construction of your kit, 25% on day one of your installation and the final 25% upon completion when everything has been finished to your satisfaction.
Yes absolutely, we accept all major credit cards.
We provide a 20 year warranty on our Firestone Rubber roofing membrane as we're approved installers.
We provide full manufacturer warranty on all glazing elements.
We provide a ten-year Insurance Backed Guarantee on the entire build as we're members of the Consumer Protection Association.